Friday, September 19, 2014

Stay Keeping you in your Seat


            I found Stay in the $1 for two movies for five nights section of my local video store. I already had one movie in hand from this section and thought ‘why not’ and guess what? It turned out to be a pretty good movie. I don’t know if it’s one I’m going to track down a copy of to own it, but I’ll rent it from time to time.
            Henry Letham, Ryan Gosling, wants to kill himself. But before he does he tries to get some help from Dr. Sam Foster, Ewan McGregor. When Sam hears of Henry’s plan he becomes determined to stop him. But can the good doctor hold on to his own sanity as he tries to help this poor boy?
            This movie almost makes me have to put a spoiler alert at the top of the page so I can talk about it. Now I’m going to try not to give anything away, but I can’t really make any promises that I won’t do it on accident. This is by nature a dark movie. The whole thing is centered around a boy who wants to kill himself and this translates a bit into how it was shot. In the beginning before we know about the darkness the scenes seem brighter or are just simply shot in the day time, but then once we learn of the news the lighting gets darker. It almost seems like most of this movie takes place at night time because of this. One of things I really liked about this movie was the transitions between scenes. They’re smooth and yet not at the same time. It’s like it goes from a front door opening to a subway car door opening. You know, they are both doors so it’s smooth, but then the doors look nothing alike and move in different ways making a bit of a jump in the transition. Okay I just realized I can’t talk about anything else without saying this so here goes. SPOILER ALERT!!! If you don’t want me to ruin the movie for you don’t read past this line. Another thing I liked is the clues. The little hints that there was something off about what was going on, the people that appeared several times with the same lines and the same general actions. Of course you don’t know why this is happening until the end of the movie. But I found it a very clever way to inform the audience without informing the audience. At the very end of this movie you’ll go “Oh, I get it now.” But I have another thing to say about the end of the movie, one of Henry’s last lines to Sam. “This hurts too much.” Oh my god, what a great line and with what he’s talking about it just fits so well with the whole thing. It really, just, sums up life. Of course when I say that it makes me sound suicidal too, but I promise you I’m not. I just love that line. END SPOILER ALERT!!! This movie, while dark and seemingly supporting suicide, is a good one to get under your belt. At least watch it once so you can say you did.


Curious about this movie? Come on and check out the preview.
Come back next time and see what else I'm watching. Here's a little piece of Saving Mr. Banks.

Don't forget to go down below and sign up for e-mail notifications. Also, you know, since you're here check out the other pages of my blog. Tell me how I'm doing, suggest a movie for me to review, or simply tell me your favorite movie. Don't forget to also take my polls below too. I'm doing everything I can to get a feel for what kind of movies everyone is into these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment