Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Megamind not Super Original


           I saw Megamind in theaters when it first came out. At the time I loved it. I thought it was funny and cute, just an all around good family movie. But then I bought a copy of it and I watched it at home. Just the second time of watching it and I was already tired of. Not really a sign of a movie that will stand the test of time.
            In Metrocity there has always been good and evil and good has always triumphed. But now that the city’s savior, Metroman (Brad Pitt), is gone and a new evil is lurking will Megamind, Will Ferrell, step up to the plate and save the city?
            It would seem that director Tom McGrath prepared for this movie by watching all the superhero movies that came before it. Megamind is so cliché at times that it hurts. The baby kissing, the hero worship, the useless police force, these are all just trite to even have in a movie any more. This movie just shows that because superhero movies were on an uptrend at the time Dreamworks thought that they deserved a piece of the pie. Don’t get me wrong, for the age group that this was aimed at this movie was very well done, but for the parents that had to come along and watch it too, well, there wasn’t much for them to enjoy. There are some good laughs to be had while watching this movie, but at times they feel forced. There are times when you can feel an awkward silence coming but instead there is a joke out of nowhere. Also Megamind seems to have gone to the Disney handbook on the training sequence. Usually it’s only in Disney movies where great things get accomplished in the time span of a five minute song. Over all, the cast was good, the animation was very nice, and the music was great. But still I have to say it could have been better. Check it out or don’t, there’s no real loss in missing this one.


If you're curious about this movie, check out the preview here.
Don't forget to come back Friday for a special requested review. In the mean time here's a little piece of  to Stay give you a feel for the movie.

Hey don't forget about e-mail notifications and the poll below. Take a minute and deal with both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment