Monday, August 4, 2014

Easy A Too Easy a Story?


  
     I will start this review the same way I will start all reviews to come, by telling you, the reader, if I personally liked or disliked the movie. This will be the only time my personal opinion comes into play. In the case of Easy A it is not necessarily one of my favorite movies, but it is one I can watch over and over and still want to watch it again. Now comes the part that has nothing to do with my personal opinion, but more of things that come to the surface after watching movies for as long as I have. The story of this movie is that Olive Penderghast, played by Emma Stone, lies to her friend, telling her that she lost her virginity, and another student over hears the lie and begins to spread the rumor. Then she admits to her old gay friend Brandon, Dan Byrd, that the rumor is all a lie that she started. From their talk at school Brandon gets the idea to have Olive pretend to have sex with him so everyone will think he is straight and leave him alone. Once more the rumors spread and Olive is open for business. Of course there are other little stories that happen in the background. There’s the sexually frustrated, married teachers and there’s the love story between Olive and Woodchuck Todd, Penn Badgley. With that being said this could probably be considered a very offensive movie to many different people. According to the extras on the Bluray that I purchased the writer feels he captured the typical high school student very well. Now I’ve never been to a high school in California and according to my sources neither has writer Bert V. Royal, he was home-schooled. This could explain the guitar toting student, the clan of Christians pushing their religion on everyone, the fat kid who in almost every scene he’s in is eating some sort of sweets, and it made it possible for Olive to come to school in what can only be described as lingerie.  Also, I would like to throw this little thing out there. How does a high school student have the income to pay $200 for a fake sex act? Do all these kids, except Sanjay Chandrasekhar(who paid with a 20% off coupon to Bath and Body Works), have like killer part-time jobs and a super ability to resist spending their money as soon as they get it? Then we have all the adults that suck at their jobs. I mean come on a guidance counselor who doesn’t listen to possibly the most trouble student in the school at the time? This was put in just to perpetuate the thought that everyone listens to gossip like it’s written in stone. Then of course when Olive goes looking for someone to talk to at her local churches she of course goes to the one church in town where the pastor isn’t very pastorly. He is so busy trying to get Olive to say there is a Hell that he doesn’t answer her questions. In fact, at one point she accidentally knocks over a picture on his desk, of course to reveal that he is the father of the girl at her school leading her lynch mob(as Olive puts it), and he gets upset with her. I have had many dealings with my local pastor and he is always cheerful and willing to help and you could probably accidentally run him over with your car and he still wouldn’t be upset with you. This being said I would like to move on to the parents in the movie. If they’re not some Jesus praising robot then they are the stereotypical free thinking parents that are always seen in movies based in California. Isn’t there one family in that state that disciplines their child for getting detention at school?! All this aside there is actually a pretty good message for the high school aged viewers of this movie at the end and of course, one of the most common endings for a Hollywood film, the girl gets the guy she always wanted.

1 comment:

  1. There are stereotypes a plenty; perhaps the movies speaks to how easily we believe without evidence.

    ReplyDelete