Friday, September 5, 2014

In My Sleep may Make you Lose Some Yourself








            In My Sleep was another lucky find at the video store. Nothing was looking good and then I came across this and thought why not. I didn’t love the movie but I liked it enough to go back and buy a copy. You see that’s a rule I have with myself. If I haven’t seen the movie then I can’t buy it. But I watched this one, sort of liked it, and said why not.
            Marcus is a popular massage therapist who struggles with parasomnia, a severe sleepwalking disorder that causes him to do things in his sleep that he cannot remember the next day. When he wakes up with blood on his hands and a knife at his side, he is startled to hear that a close friend has been found stabbed to death. Marcus frantically tries to put the pieces together - could he have murdered his friend while sleepwalking to hide a dark secret between them? The police close in as Marcus investigates his own nocturnal activities, desperate to figure out what happens after he goes to sleep. His journey to uncover the truth leads him to a shocking revelation. IMDb: In My Sleep
- Written by The Film Catalogue
            This movie probably could have benefited from not being an independent film. There were moments when the lack of time spent on it and the lack of funding showed through. Otherwise, it was a great concept for a movie. Now other sites don’t list this movie as being part of the horror genre like I do, but after you watch it and see the creepiness of it and all the jump scares I am certain you will agree with my assessment. One thing that gets me about bloody movies, which this one isn’t terribly bloody, is that no one can seem to get the right look for fake blood. I mean all it would take for them is to inflict a paper cut that bleeds a little and just watch the blood as time passes. But that doesn’t really affect this movie so I shall get off my soapbox and move on. It feels like this movie followed a manual on how to write some of these characters. The lead detective, for instance, has a feel that she seems to have to prove her toughness in every scene she’s in. I mean what is with her and the nut trivia? Did the writers go, “Yea, talk about nuts in this scene and you’ll seem like a bigger ***hole.”? Cause that’s what it feels like. But then the director went to a different book to write Marcus, Philip Winchester. They went to the Dawson’s Creek manual and made him over sensitive. When other male leads are tough and butch Marcus is weak and crying about just about anything. Overall from a review point I don’t have much to say that is nice about this film. I mean even our lead actors’ performances seemed to be off in this movie. But still it’s a neat idea for a movie and you should watch it at least once, but afterwards you may want to watch a really happy film to get the creepiness out of your head.



If this movie sounds interesting then check out the preview for yourself.
Be on the look out for my next review. Here's a little peak of Limitless to whet your appetite.

And don't forget to remember to sign up for e-mail notifications. The link is bellow the poll, which you should also take a second to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment