Limitless was a lucky buy for me. It
was back before I set my rule about only buying movies I’ve seen. I saw it in
the store after hearing about it very vaguely from a friend and I thought why
not. Turns out I loved the movie and I now consider it to be somewhere in my
top ten favorites.
Eddie Morra, Bradley Cooper, is a
writer with a book contract and a bad case of writer’s block. But one day he
runs into an old friend with a new option. Eddie is offered a mystery pill that
can enable him to access the full potential of his brain and on this drug the
possibilities are limitless.
Director Neil Burger did a lot of
interesting things with this movie; my favorite being the visual effects. There’s
a different look and feel for each different scenario that takes place. There’s
a dull, grey look to the plain Eddie sequences and a bright vibrant look to
enhanced Eddie. It’s like they’re saying he was living in the dark before he
found this drug. But then there’s even a different look and feel for when
things start to go wrong and if you’re just watching the movie in a haze you
just might miss some of the little extra things they do to the look in these
sequences. Another cool thing is the 360 vision that they hint that anyone can
have on this drug. Can you imagine that while looking straight ahead you can
see behind you? They don’t use this much though which I feel is mark against
the movie, because if you’re going to start something in your dogma then you
have to keep it going or explain why it’s changed. Another cool thing is how
they visually explain how Eddie is remembering things. The flashes of flash
backs was a really nice touch. There are probably those of you out there who
haven’t seen Limitless but have seen Lucy. Hollywood does this constantly, if
one director makes a movie and it does well another director copies the idea
and changes it just a bit and gives it a new title. But for those of you that
saw Lucy and say that Limitless has it all wrong and there is now way to exist
and access 100% of your brain then I just have one thing to say. No one in real
life has ever accessed 100% of their brain therefore nobody really, truly knows
what would happen if someone accessed that much of their brain. It’s all
theoretical, educated guesses. Also let’s not forget one big thing here, it’s a
movie. As long as the director picks a dogma and sticks to it then he/she can
have anything they want happen. The early sequences in the movie kind of give
the feel that the movie is going to have no direction to go. I don’t mean to
sound cliché but the possibilities of where Burger could have taken this movie
are limitless. It could have gone anywhere, but have no fear the plot does
start to show its head about 31 minutes into the movie. That’s not terrible
considering the movie is about 104 minutes long. Limitless is a wild ride with
twist and turns that keep you interested. If you’ve seen Lucy but not Limitless
I beg you to go to your local video store and rent it. You will not be
disappointed.
In case you are really curious to get a better taste of this movie click the link to watch the preview
Don't forget to come back to see what's next. Here's a little piece of Foolproof

No comments:
Post a Comment