Saturday, August 9, 2014

Boy Wonder Leaves you Wondering in the End



            I came across Boy Wonder by sheer chance as I was wandering aimlessly through the local video store. When I saw the case it just grabbed my attention, so I picked it up and checked out the back of the case. It seemed interesting so I brought it home, yes I paid for it first. It was full of actors I’d never seen and yet it was still a great movie. After I first got it the DVD didn’t leave my player for like a week. Yes I thought it was that good.
            Boy Wonder is the story of Sean Donovan, Caleb Steinmeyer, who at the young age of eight saw his mother killed in front of him. Before that day his life wasn’t really all that great either, though. But after the murder Sean’s dad shapes up and they movie out of their old neighborhood for a much nicer one. However, Sean just couldn’t accept what the police found about his mother’s murder so now he spends his time training and hanging around the police station. He doesn’t want to be a cop though, he wants to do what the cops can’t and he does a lot before the movie is over.
            This is a pretty dark film, by content and how it was shot. Director Michael Morrissey used a lot of shadows and just dark settings for a majority of this film. In some places it seems to fit, the way the shadows fall as people are talking about horrible stuff, but then all the action takes place in the dark and with that mixed with some jerky movements from the camera you can’t really tell what’s going on sometimes. I mean this movie is rated R, they didn’t have to hide anything really. A cool thing about this movie is the use of music throughout. In most movies the music is just something in the background that you really don’t notice until it doesn’t fit with the movie. But with Boy Wonder it almost helps to tell the story, starting sweet and melodic until something bad starts to contort it into horrible chords. It’s really an interesting way to use the music of a movie and when you combined that with what I think of as Sean vision, than you’ve got some cool tricks. There’s nothing quite like getting into the head of an abused kid and seeing everyday conversations through his eyes. But, with all this praise comes the question of how could Sean get away with everything he does and still get to live a normal life. There’s not much more I can say without giving away some big stuff about this movie so I’ll just stop now and leave it up to you to find this movie and either fall in love with its dark nature, like I did, or possibly hate it.


In Case I peaked your interest check out the preview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4hYIuOaoxA
Also be on the look out for my next review. Here's a sneak peak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc80eNzxpJo

Hey you out there! Not that dude behind you rocking the florescent yellow crocks, but you, reading this. Did you remember to sign up for e-mail notifications of all my new reviews?

No comments:

Post a Comment