
I came
across the movie Brake after enjoying the movie Buried. I saw it in the movie
store and after seeing Stephen Dorff in Carjacked and seeing Buried, which was
the first movie to put an actor in a box and only have him on screen, I said,
“What the heck I’ll see what this one is all about.” And I rented it. I must
say that I don’t think it even comes close to how great Buried is but all in
all it is a pretty good film and a small part of me really gets a kick out of
the ending.
Brake is the story of Special Agent
Jeremy Reins, Stephen Dorff, who wakes up and finds himself in a box in the
trunk of a car. The only light that he can see is coming from a red, digital
clock that is counting down. Quickly, Jeremy learns that nothing good comes
from the clock reaching zero and that it is no accident that he is in this box.
But will Jeremy tell these people what they want to know just to save his life
or will he keep his secret and with that keep the President safe?
This movie was shot over the course
of twelve days, eleven in the box and one outside. In that time director Gabe
Torres felt it best to shoot the movie in chronological order. Basically,
unlike with most movies, this movie was shot starting on page one of the script
straight through to the very last page. Stephen Dorff said that this really
helped him develop his character better and relay his anxieties and frustration
of being in a box for so long to the screen. In an interview Gabe Torres said
that there were times when Dorff just wanted to get out of the box but he would
tell him that they were going to try it again and Dorff would kick and throw
himself around inside the box, basically throwing a temper tantrum, and some of
those moments were actually used in the finished product. It was a good concept
really, this story line, but the fact that writer Timothy Mannion admits that
he got it from listening to 911 calls from people trapped in the trunk of a car
on YouTube sort of raises some questions. But that has nothing to do with the
movie I guess. The movie gives a very realistic feel of a person bouncing
around in a trunk; this was achieved by taking the back half of a Crown Vic with
the box mounted inside and mounting it to supports that enabled it to teeter
back and forth with the help of a ten man team you have a car recklessly driving down streets. With all the technical stuff
aside let’s get to the rest of the good stuff. The dialogue, at times, in the
film might seem silly and the reactions that Jeremy gives to his captors might
seem over done on his part, but really who could say how a person would handle
this situation. I mean like I said earlier Dorff threw tantrums from time to
time when Torres told him he couldn’t get out of the box and he’s just an actor
who wasn’t in any danger what so ever. However, there is one problem with this
movie that pretty much the whole internet community is united on. There are
just too many twists to it. I don’t want to give anything away by going into
too much detail on this point, but let’s just say that if they stopped the
movie after just one twist it still would have led to a good ending and the
general public would have probably liked that ending more than the one in the
movie. So with all that said, when it comes right down to it, this is a pretty
good movie. There’s a good story, plenty of action(even though pretty much the
whole movie is in a trunk), and it has a lead actor who could carry the movie
from start to finish. However, it is an independent film and a bit different
from your everyday Hollywood film, so basically what I’m trying to say is maybe
you should rent it before you fully commit yourself to adding it to your
collection.
Check out the full preview here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPofHkR5K9E
Also be on the look out for my next review. Here's a little taste of what's to come https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1XUk3Jdwvw
Don't forget, if you like what you're reading click subscribe at the bottom and you'll be notified of new posts without having to check back everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment