When I saw previews for This Means
War I was excited for it to come out. When it did I rushed to the theater as
soon as I could to see it and I loved it. I saw it at least once more while it
was still in theaters and then when it came out on DVD I couldn’t wait to buy
it. It was great. It had spies, romance, comedy, and action. It seemed like one
I would love forever, but then I put it in to do this review and I saw its true
colors.
Two top CIA operatives are not just
partners, they are also best friends. That is until they realize that they
are both dating the same girl. Now the rules have been set and lines have been
drawn. But what will happen when one of them goes too far?
While this movie is certainly funny
and has some nice eye candy for everyone to enjoy it doesn’t have much else.
This movie feels like it was written using a how to book. Or actually it was
more like a checklist they went down while writing the screen play. Strange
device that must be recovered in the beginning but never mentioned again,
check. Black woman boss who is perpetually pissed, check. Bad guy seeking vengeance
against the heroes, check. Visit to a strip club, check. Russian bad guy
wearing running pants (or whatever they’re called), check. Random vehicles
exploding at the slightest tap, check. Oh wait let’s not forget the big one.
Happy ending for all, double check. I mean it’s good the first couple times you
see it, but if you put it away for a while and watch other movies like it and
then come back to it you see just how generic it really is. Then, I guess, they
thought they could make up for the lack of originality by throwing big names in
the movie. But they all seemed to be having an off day or something while this
was being shot. It all feels very over acted through the whole movie. Lines were forced or said too stiffly. The common thought that comes to mind as I watched this was 'too much'. Then if
you are lucky enough to own a copy of the extended movie you get to see
possibly one of the dumbest scenes in movie history. As Tuck, Tom Hardy, tries
to win the girl he hires a fake family to impress her. Then FDR, Chris Pine, immediately
replaces the perfect family with a bunch of people who pretend to be what can
only be described as a red neck British family. It’s not a long scene but it is
definitely one that should have been left out of the movie forever. Lastly, I
wish to pose a question to the females that read my reviews. If you were dating
two guys at the same time how can you possibly have the nerve to be upset if
you find out the two guys happen to know each other? Any way this movie is good
for a laugh and a slight action fix. It really doesn’t stand the test of time
though, so if you’re planning on seeing it hurry up and watch it before it’s
too late.
Curious about this fading gem? Hurry and check out the preview.
Come back next time to see my review on a movie based on actual events, Philomena.
There will be an announcement now. *ahem SIGN UP FOR E-MAIL NOTIFICATIONS BELOW! That is all.

No comments:
Post a Comment