Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Frozen not as Ground Breaking as they Thought



            I went to see Frozen because I wanted to know what the movie was about. The previews I saw told me nothing about the story. All I ever saw was Olaf chasing his nose. It didn’t make sense to me till I saw the movie. The directors and writers didn’t even seem to know what this movie was going to be about.
            When Elsa, Idina Menzel, freezes the whole kingdom her sister Anna, Kristen Bell, sets out to save the day. But who is going to save her when she needs help?
            This whole review is going to pretty much be one big spoiler alert. But then if you haven’t seen this movie you either live under a rock or are a guy with on kids and no girlfriend. Any way here it goes. I would like to start by asking just how far is the North Mountain from the palace? When you see the view of it from the court yard it looks to be a couple days journey away, but then Elsa makes it there in one night. Then it takes Anna and Kristoff, Jonathan Groff, a little over a day to get there. Then it takes Hans, Santino Fontana, and the other people from the castle less than a day to get there and back. So are all these people traveling really fast or is the mountain actually closer than the view makes it look? Also I have to ask about the ice. At the ice palace Anna slips once and Sven can’t walk on the ice at all. I don’t know about the rest of you, but in the winter when there’s ice on the ground I see people slipping and sliding and that’s just small patches. Meanwhile a whole castle is made of ice and people can run in it with no problem at all. Then there is what the ice does to things. I Understand it is magical but there still has to be some rules for it. Elsa at the end makes the dungeon wall so cold it bursts open, but then as Anna and Olaf are trying to get out of the palace and it’s so cold that spikes of ice are forming on the walls. This makes no sense at all. We’ve had some very cold winters where I am, we even got the arctic blast last year, but we didn’t get any ice spikes forming on things. That would take a different combination of weather than just really cold. But hey, magic. Now comes a big problem. Let’s play who’s the bad guy. In the beginning it looks like it is going to be the Duke of Weselton, with his evil scheming and probing for information. Then when Elsa freezes everything it seems like she is the bad guy. But then we find out that she didn’t know that she did it. The Duke comes back in the running when he tells his guys to kill the queen. But then comes the supposed great reveal of Hans being the bad guy. Do you know how long it takes them to reveal the real bad guy of this movie? It takes 75 minutes to make this reveal. This movie is only about 102 minutes long people. That is just terrible writing. People spend the whole movie wondering just where it’s going to go next because it seems to have no direction. Let’s also take a minute to realize there was no reason to make Hans the bad guy. The Duke could have stayed the bad guy, Anna could have stayed in love with Hans, and Elsa could have paired up with the ice loving Kristoff. But everyone loves having those surprise reveals and the strange love triangle type deals. Also I would like to take a look at this “Frozen is the first Disney movie to show you don’t need a man to save you” thing. Did the people that said that not see Pocahontas? No? Well how about Mulan? You say they missed that one too? Well then I know they’ve seen Brave. I mean that just came out in 2012. But I guess you’re going to tell me they missed that one too. Oh well, I tried. Any way the real romantic message that Frozen has is the first guy isn’t always the right guy. Not a bad message if you think about. Any way I’d tell you to watch this one just so you’re up on your Disney movies, but I bet you’ve all already seen this.


Haven't seen this movie for some strange reason? Check out this terrible preview that gives you all the wrong ideas about the movie, but it's the official trailer.
Now check out this little honest trailer I found for Frozen.
Then because I love this channel, remember there is some swearing in these clips, check out Everything Wrong with Frozen.
Come back next time for a look at Safety not Guaranteed.

Don't forget, if you like what you're reading sign up for e-mail notifications so you can be the first to read the new reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment