I saw the preview for Seeking a
Friend for the end of the World while watching another independent film. It
looked interesting and with how it showed it starts in the preview I was really
curious to see how this movie would end. My curiosity paid off with the full
package of a good movie with a great ending.
Dodge, Steve Carell, is all alone
after his wife ran from him and now he is all set to die in three weeks with
everyone else on the planet by himself. But when he finds a letter from his
high school sweetheart he finds a new reason to live, and so he begins his
journey to find the one that got away.
I have a morbid curiosity when it
comes to end of the world movies. My question for this movie was how will it
end? I don’t like spoilers so for my random viewers you won’t fully know what I
mean when I hint at the ending here, but friends reading this will know exactly
how the movie ends. I will just say this about the ending; it was beautiful.
Just the perfect blend of everything and it brings definite closure to the
film. With that out of the way there are some other things now that need to be
said. It was interesting how the director, Lorene Scafaria, got so many
different reactions to the end of the world in this short 101 minute film.
There’s everything from the person that can’t stop crying to the person that
can’t stop drinking. There are even some deaths that have aren't caused by
the apocalypse. It’s all very clever. All of it except some of the comedy. Yes
it’s funny to see the cop pull them over and arrest them, but some of the early
comedy before the road trip starts is over the top and downright vulgar. I
realize the movie is rated R, but some of the reasons for this rating are just
for cheap laughs. This movie also suffers from the problem of being a comedy
with a brief serious moment. At about 77 minutes into the movie the director
decided to go for a serious moment that she probably thought no one saw coming.
Well, I saw it coming from the moment it was hinted at earlier in the movie.
Then to top it off, because it suddenly gets so heavy you all of the sudden
take notice of how long you’ve been sitting and how much longer is left to go.
These bad marks aside you are left with a semi new idea and definitely a
different angle to view it all from. Definitely check this one out for
yourself. Although you may want to rent it first just in case.
Wanna better look at the end of the world? Check out the preview here.
Come back next time for a movie you may have heard of. Come back and check out Frozen.
Like what you're reading? Wanna be the first to read the next review? Sign up for e-mail notifications and be the first to know when I've posted something new.

No comments:
Post a Comment